The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Castlerigg Forum Start a topic | Search
Castlerigg
Re: Castlerigg desecration and vandalism
76 messages
Select a forum:
I agree, it's daft.

Let me be clear. Castlerigg, as well as being a bunch of old stones that hark back to a time we know nothing about, is a living, breathing temple in daily use by both local and pilgrims (I know the word 'tourist' sticks in some throats).

Regardless of age of the venue, would you build a bonfire in the North Transept of York Minster? Perhaps a barbecue under the round table in Winchester Cathedral? Maybe in the graveyard would be less offensive?

But would you deny visitors to those places the opportunity to leave something personal, perhaps leave a pendant under a seat, put a fiver in the collection boxes that are invariably set up near the doors - give something back in return for the spiritual espresso rushing through their bodies.

I've no intention of asking EH for any opinions, after all, you yourself on Warband, Nigel, have made it extremely clear that you don't think EH are worth the letterhead on their missives.

National Trust have placed the byelaws relating to Castlerigg on signs at each of the three gates entering the field. No Open Fires, No dogs off leashes (presumably because the lawnmovers they use also provide wool), No Camping (presumably tent pegs are an issue with archaeology?), No digging/metal detecting and take your litter with you when you go.

I've no idea what this 'charter' is, so I've not signed up to it.

Perhaps you can post up your results on the Warband Nigel?

Reply | with quote
Myrddin ap Cwmbrai
Posted by Myrddin ap Cwmbrai
13th July 2008ce
18:57

Messages in this topic: