The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Castlerigg Forum Start a topic | Search
Castlerigg
Re: Castlerigg desecration and vandalism
76 messages
Select a forum:
Hi, Paul from CDO here.

On some internet forums, we (CDO) were accused wrongly of starting a fire in the centre of the circle, the remains of which were used to start the Mayan's Ceremony. I have been in touch with the Liverpool Holistic Centre, who have repeatedly assured me that they had no part in it, other than advertising an event on their website (which has been taken down, I gather).

I have received an email from Unificacion Maya, who have unreservedly apologised for any offence caused by this act of desecration, Pedro was blissfully unaware of the laws relating to Scheduled Ancient Monuments (the sign by the gate was in English).

In reference to the mention about Quad Bikes. The applicant has revised the application to use Electric powered Quads, not Petrol, and I believe the route is going to be changed slightly so that the lane 250 yards away won't be used.

I have included a copy of the letter to be read at LHC's next meeting - below:

"We are very privileged here in Cumbria to have complete free and open access to our ancient monuments, and we have no desire to lose that right. We can only assume that to keep the access we enjoy, we must treat the sites with respect. Don't leave litter, please don't chip a bit off one of the stones as a souvenir, don't dig holes. Basically, being respectful in our circles is to leave no sign of your being there after you've gone. Then the next visitor can be awed by the beauty, like you were when you arrived.

There has been a problem the last few years of open fires at Castlerigg, although it is improving with time. The fires, when burning, not only superficially damages the turf (which, aye, can be replaced, leaving an eyesore for a time), but also damages the archaeological heritage within.

For thousands of years, Castlerigg has been given gifts by visitors. Whether it be the burial mound in the North-East of the Circle, whether it be pottery or jewellery, or even if it was only left the week before, a quartz pressed into the mud by someone giving thanks for the rain stopping, the Gods and Ancestors of Castlerigg are loved.

Burning Fire, on the ground, with or without turf, destroys these gifts. By making fire, you steal the very gifts left for the Gods by others before you. This is why I, and the Cumbrian Druid Order, and many, many Pagan groups around the country, will not burn open fires upon the ground within sacred ground. It is out of respect for the place, the Gods that reside there, and those that have been before us.

By all means, if you use fire in your ceremonies, then use something that keeps it off the ground.

One excuse I received was “But it was like that when we got here” - it still doesn't make it any better, using the same spot. “Well, he was already lying there bleeding, I didn't think another kick would matter” - doesn't quite work as well, does it?

As I write this, there is a man stood outside Stone Henge. A man who can remember free and open access to Stonehenge. A man who has fought twenty years to get that right back for all of us, a right lost when the government of the time decided that “For the Nation” meant “For the Nations Coffers” and took the Spirit of the Land from the people, and charged us for the privilege of looking at it from a safe distance.

They did it to 'protect' Stone Henge, from the people who loved it most. People who inadvertently damaged the fabric of the Stones in their love for the place. I don't want Castlerigg to be lost to us, with a turnstile on the gate with a man in a booth taking money for the right to worship, while a caravan sells cheap tat and a map.

This is why I demand respect for the Stones, the Gods there, and those who have used, still use, and will use the Carles of Keswick to be closer to their Gods. And burning their offerings without their agreement is disrespectful. Please, do not burn the ground. Ever."

As far as I, and CDO are concerned, the matter has been dealt with, and understanding gained all round that burning a fire within the environs of a Stone Circle, on the ground, is a no-no. By all means, have a fire in a brazier, just leave it as you would LIKE to find it.

Reply | with quote
Myrddin ap Cwmbrai
Posted by Myrddin ap Cwmbrai
13th July 2008ce
14:55

Messages in this topic: