The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Castlerigg Forum Start a topic | Search
Castlerigg
Re: Castlerigg desecration and vandalism
76 messages
Select a forum:
I happened to be there and saw some of what happened and was standing in the right place to overhear alot of the discussion prior to the fire.

The Guatamalan dude is called Tata Pedro Cruz.
The fire ceremony was supposed to be held in the adjoining field - owned by the friendly farmer who was hanging out with the celebrants. It was all set to go ahead there but when TPC arrived at the circle he saw that there was a loosely replaced circle of turf over fire damage allready in the centre of the circle. I saw this and assumed that the solstice goers had had a fire there a few days earlier. TPC stated the fire ceremony was "meant" to happen right there. I heard the discussion with the farmer. He seemed unsettled by the change of plan but when pressed he said that he personally had no objections to it going ahead there but that the owners probably wouldn't approve.

The really unsettling thing was that the circle of hangers on all went into this "Yeah we all know what this place is Really for. We are doing what you're Meant to do here." Absolutely disgusting attitude.

We went back later to check out the damage and the turf was replaced but it looked badly done.

So a few points. -
-Fire damage was not entirely caused by this event, as it was built on existing fire damage.
-The organisers had not intended the ceremony to be there but seemed to get carried along by the word of the leader and the pack mentality.
-Lighting fires creates a precedent and people think that if someone else has had one then its ok.

This was a tricky thing to witness. I felt it was absolutley not ok, but also felt intimidated by the pack mentality of these allegedly harmoniously inclined new-agers. And to be honest I found their attitude of we are the special ones and we can do what the f*** we want far more worrying than the damage to the site.

Reply | with quote
Creyr
Posted by Creyr
9th July 2008ce
21:17

In reply to:

Castlerigg desecration and vandalism (theCaptain)

Messages in this topic: