The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Castlerigg Forum Start a topic | Search
Castlerigg
Re: Castlerigg desecration and vandalism
76 messages
Select a forum:
Absolutely Littlestone. I certainly wasn't pointing fingers at anyone (or nation or culture) in particular. Merely suggesting that we're far from the first to have visitors damage our sacred sites.

Also, and here I'm being very charitable to the Guatemalan individual who prompted this, it is possible that he is from a culture that still sees such sites as living, breathing spaces fully-integrated with the people who use them. As such, he may see it as almost a desecration that such places are effectively moth-balled, there to be looked at rather than used.

Now, obviously that's a whole other kettle of fish, and one only needs to view sites like Macchu Picchu to realise that such places simply aren't capable of coping with the hundreds of thousands of people who turn up every year. Sadly, if every group of visitors decided to perform a Mayan fire ceremony (or whatever) at Castlerigg... or [insert site of your choice]... the location would soon find itself seriously degraded.

So this isn't a call for more of such ceremonies. Just a suggestion that in this case it may have been a genuine case of cultural misunderstanding which shouldn't be classified as either vandalism or desecration.

Or the guy might have been a total arsehole who just didn't give a damn. As I say, I'm trying to be charitable.

Reply | with quote
Posted by grufty jim
9th July 2008ce
16:07

Messages in this topic: