The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Italy Forum Start a topic | Search
Italy
Re: Italian places
55 messages
Select a forum:
Ligurian Tommy Leggy wrote:
I'm emotional (I'm italian after all). I'm not cool-headed at all. And I got the habit of
talking too much ( that's why I feel a bit frustrated not knowing your language better).
Your compliments are filling me with joy ! (I know it's childish but let my say that I feel not be alone anymore). Let me tell you more (hoping not boring you). Here the culture related to those sites is lost. They aren't even recognised for what they are. Not even as a touristic attraction.
There's a place, next to a spring, where I found the remains of a cromlech. The "Archeological Authority"didn't "find the time"to talk about it with me.
And I don't go back to that site because I can't stand that, year after year, some stone is moved from the place carryed away and ri-used for buidings. And I can't do anything against it because the site is on a private property...
Ciao Tommy

It's great that you care so much & you're very welcome here!!! It's good to know we have friends in Italy! I think your English is excellent.

You are not alone!

Many of the prehistoric sites in Britain are in danger and often vandalised, even though many of them ARE protected. English Heritage who are meant to protect the sites are very often unable (and sometimes seem unwilling) to do much to protect them.

Some of us started a group called Heritage Action to try to get help protecting the sites and to show the dangers to English Heritage and the public http://www.heritageaction.org

It's difficult sometimes because we all have busy lives and, surprisingly, many people (even on this messageboard) prefer to criticise what we do rather than offer to help or offer to join us to have a say in what we do. Weird.

Most monuments here are rarely visited because almost nobody knows about them or because most people are not interested.

People in Britain usually only know about Stonehenge and perhaps Avebury. A few more are aware of the monuments in the Orkneys and perhaps Callanish. Many only know about Stonehenge. Education here has also made people think that everything started with the Romans.

love

Moth

Reply | with quote
Moth
Posted by Moth
7th July 2008ce
23:06

In reply to:

Re: Italian places (Ligurian Tommy Leggy)

1 reply:

Re: Italian places (Ligurian Tommy Leggy)

Messages in this topic: