The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Avebury Forum Start a topic | Search
Avebury
Re: ethnic cleansing ???
34 messages
Select a forum:
RG,
I don't go for the ethnic cleansing idea. Keiller provided alternative accomodation unlike say Milosovic who didn't provide Barrret housing for the Bosnians.
There are still a lot of the original villagers actualy in the village and a large number in the caravan park behind the garage.
Interesting that the docu didn't mention the caravans.
Most of the Village houses are now owned and let by the NT (Average rent £1800 a month)
A few are owned by very rich bods. The garage owner is a millionaire now thanks to Keiller providing a new garage outside the circle.
Sir Pete Beal lives here as does Sir Ludvic Kennedy.
Scum like me are banned to the tenant farm houses around the edge of the Henge ;)

Now the camp site has gone transient visiters can stay in the main car park for a few days as long as their tents are taken down every morning.

I find it funny that NT demolished more houses than Keiller but have yet to re-erect a single stone.
Official NT visiter numbers are 350,000 PA yet the Red Lion says 1.2 million customers pass through the pub every year.
(I know that regulars like me may exaggerate this number by frequent visits but not by much. hic)
Ho Hum,
PeteG

Reply | with quote
Pete G
Posted by Pete G
5th May 2002ce
19:36

In reply to:

ethnic cleansing (RiotGibbon)

Messages in this topic: