The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Caer Bach Forum Start a topic | Search
Caer Bach
Re: Mr Postman?
22 messages
Select a forum:
Look - I was there ...

Aron came to look at my blackstone last week and said it couldn't be carved because the stone was undercut. His opinion was that the marks were the result of geological forces. You can see the tool marks so I was quite disappointed. My reasoning is that the undercuts show that the marks are artificial. We both agreed it was Millstone Grit however. It was like he was looking at a different stone to me although we were both in the same place - an abandoned graveyard. We both agreed that nobody is much interested in cup-marked stones in remote locations.

Next I'm going to try and raise the EH archaeologist and see if he'll take a look at the Kirkhaugh stone circle and the remnants of the Long Mortuary Enclosure which is inside it. I don't hold out much hope there either. It has occurred to me that the lmr (Smallhenge) may have been packed with smaller stones and that these stones are the ones heaped up on the river banks.

Reply | with quote
StoneGloves
Posted by StoneGloves
26th March 2008ce
11:02

In reply to:

Re: Mr Postman? (tiompan)

1 reply:

Re: Mr Postman? (tiompan)

Messages in this topic: