The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Grasmere Forum Start a topic | Search
The Modern Antiquarian
Grasmere
Re: Grasmere Stone Circle
3 messages
Select a forum:
Nick,
I have two or three scanned prints of old maps, showing the Grasmere stone circle, courtesy of Fitzcoraldo, another TMA contributor. It should perhaps be referred to as the Dunmail Raise stone circle, as it was supposedly sited on top of the pass of that name, at approximate grid reference NY 327 117. This is where "the Keswick road meets the Grasmere road."

There is an ancient cairn on the site now, of which I have added a site and a few photos on TMA.

A quote on one of these prints is as follows:-
"... this road ascends Dunmail-raise, where lie the historical stones, that perpetuate the name and fall of the last king of Cumberland, defeated there by the Saxon monarch Edmund, who put out the eyes of the two sons of his adversary, and for his confederating with Leolin, king of Wales, first wasted his kingdom, and then gave it to Malcolm, king of Scots, who held it in fee of Edmund, A.D. 944, or 945. The stones are a heap, that have the appearance of a karn, or barrow. The wall that divides the counties is built over them; which proves their priority of time in that form."
West 1778.
This seems to describe the present cairn, not a stone circle, although a stone circle is drawn on the maps.

I read somewhere that the stones were removed or destroyed when the road "improvements" were done.

I will e-mail you the scanned files if you want, just drop me an e-mail. My address can be found by clicking on my username.

I hope this is of some help. Let us know if you find anything else out.

Regards,
TE.

Reply | with quote
The Eternal
Posted by The Eternal
12th March 2008ce
21:07

In reply to:

Grasmere Stone Circle (NickTEve)

1 reply:

St Oswalds (stubob)

Messages in this topic: