The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   General Discussion Forum Start a topic | Search
The Modern Antiquarian
Re: Theories on 'cup and ring marks'
47 messages
Select a forum:
I’m new on here, so apologies if my suggestion is outdated. To me, cup and ring marks suggest a sort of spiritual tally system. The cups would represent the individual, the carver, and the rings would indicate how many times some key event have taken place - a ritual, or a pilgrimage perhaps. The lines cutting through might represent genealogy, I.e. from the original mark-maker to their next descendent, or to someone who has replaced their function, like a subsequent priest. Or the lines might represent a completion, e.g. completion of their life, or their tenure. The way that some rings stop at the edge of other rings might suggest that rings were added over a period of time, I.e. they experienced more events than they anticipated when they started their marks.now that we believe that pilgrimages were carried out to important locations like Stonehenge, would this ring-tallying be a good explanation for cup and ring marks? What do you think?

Reply | with quote
Posted by Intuit147
15th August 2021ce
11:37

In reply to:

Re: Theories on 'cup and ring marks' (fitzcoraldo)

Messages in this topic: