The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Silbury Hill Forum Start a topic | Search
Silbury Hill
A personal opinion.
19 messages
Select a forum:
On an unplanned trip to Avebury this weekend, we popped by to see how the Silbury repair work was coming along.

I'd seen it a few weeks back and it was in a bad enough condition - what with the ever-widening voids above the tunnel entrance - but this time it made me so angry!

All the time we've been talking about it here, and the nay-sayers and anti-heritage-conservationists have been telling us all is well, and that the likes of Heritage Action are scaremongering, the truth is that the hill is in an absolutely disgusting state, and it appears to be getting worse!

It looks like "we" - those that have taken an interest (in a non-profitmaking, non-gloryhunting way) - were right all along. My god I wish we weren't. I've seen it with my own eyes. Don't try to tell me all is well because what I saw is far from alright! If you think I'm scaremongering go and see it for yourself.

In fact do so - go and see it for yourself. That way I can't be accused of making this up. There are some photos here - http://www.heritageaction.org/?page=theheritagejournal - but the photos don't quite manage to capture just how bad it is.

And after the rain we've had the last couple of days, I can only imagine what's happened since my visit.

I know EH reported "further collapses" in their last update, but really, the stable door should have been closed a LONG time ago...

G x

Reply | with quote
goffik
Posted by goffik
5th February 2008ce
09:42

3 replies:

Re: A personal opinion. (Vicster)
Re: A personal opinion. (neighbourofthedrude)
Re: A personal opinion. (Hob)

Messages in this topic: