The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Brown Edge Forum Start a topic | Search
Brown Edge
Re: Totley Circle
32 messages
Select a forum:
This helps a lot. I'm having a few problems with Ordnance Survey. They say that people are swiping stones from Totley Circle and putting them on the Cairn. They are even considering contacting English Heritage to have the Cairn dismantled. I've told Ordnance Survey that the two structures have nothing to do with each other, that the stones of Totley Circle at about 200 kg a piece are far too heavy to move and that the stones in the Cairn come from the redundant dry-stone wall that runs roughly east-west. In a nutshell I wrote:

1. Stones are not taken from the Totley Circle.
2. The Cairn is not built on the Totley Circle.
3. The Cairn is a prominent and useful landmark.
4. The Cairn is so large that it should be mapped.
5. To remove the Cairn would be a Sisyphean task since people would only rebuild it.
6. On the contrary, the word Enclosure on the map and the exhibits in Sheffield Museum only induce people to try to find the excavation site and sniff around in the hope of maybe finding a beaker themselves.

Thankyou. This really does help a lot. A lot of people, including myself, like this Cairn.

Reply | with quote
Posted by Artigo
10th January 2008ce
15:44

In reply to:

Re: Totley Circle (stubob)

Messages in this topic: