The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Silbaby Forum Start a topic | Search
Silbaby
Re: Silbaby .
5 messages
Select a forum:
tiompan wrote:
Hello Moss , neither ,grid ref =SU 13729 67419 2km e.se of the Sanctuary it's about 180 m OD and all the sites may be intervisible . I have no idea of date/type etc . And it's all predicated on Silababy being man made, the grid ref for Silababy ibeing accurate and was it intentional .

Miles out was'nt I.... so coming nearer home and a sightline from Silbury/Silbaby/Sanctuary/Bitham barrow, and if you look at the map, Lockeridge Dene (which has a stream of natural sarsen stones coming down from Fyfield Down) is also near the Bitham barrow, there's another tumulus mentioned there as well by the way, you may have a significant feature in the landscape being highlighted....
I looked at Devereux's sightlining from Silbury Hill to the surrounding landscape - not sure I was convinced....

Still there seems to be a public footpath from West Overton past the barrow it would be interesting looking back and taking photos.

http://www.themodernantiquaria[...]28/images/lockeridge_dene.html

Reply | with quote
moss
Posted by moss
6th January 2008ce
18:27

In reply to:

Re: Silbaby . (tiompan)

1 reply:

Re: Silbaby . (StoneGloves)

Messages in this topic: