The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Silbury Hill Forum Start a topic | Search
Silbury Hill
Let an open and transparent debate continue ......
18 messages
Select a forum:
I was surprised to see the 'Heart of the Matter' thread closed today on the thought-provoking post by Moss - I am sure she didn't intend it to be the 'final word' but rather another strand of the multi-dimensional Silbury Debate.

I have heard it speculated recently that Silbury may have been supported at its base by sarsen stones as it probably had a water filled ditch or moat around it. It was further speculated that the Romans may have pillaged these stones to use as part of the foundation for the Bath Road which runs along-side of Silbury and that the ditch is now filled with slippage material from the mound itself. I can only listen and wonder because I am not an archaeologist or a historian so am pretty much open-minded to all ideas. My point really being that Silbury has been used, abused, venerated and revered down the centuries - not just in the past few hundred years.

Finally, we have some sense of Silbury being left to 'rest in peace' when the current work by EH is completed but it can never fully be what it was because we will never really know what that was.

It is true that as a bureaucratic organisation English Heritage has not been seen to be fully accountable on several issues. I understand that Heritage Action has been busy behind the scenes writing letters and it would be really good for other interested people if some of that work could be published on this open forum. On the back of recent input by HA members and others, I have written to English Heritage asking for their reasons for using synthetic bags for the chalk infills and have also emailed my MP and the Department of Culture , Media and Sport asking questions about the use (or possibly mis-use) of the Silbury budget by EH. The DCMS are obliged to answer my enquiry within 20 working days. My communications have been sent with my full name and address and I will be happy to post any responses I receive on this open forum.

I hope that an ongoing rational debate can continue and am grateful to people like Moss, and others, for their continuing passion on one hand and intellectual rationale on the other.

tjj (june jackson)

Reply | with quote
tjj
Posted by tjj
5th January 2008ce
01:04

Messages in this topic: