The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Stonehenge Forum Start a topic | Search
Stonehenge
Roof on Stonehenge
25 messages
Select a forum:
Various bronze age and neolithic sites which have solar alignments also have chambers which are only illuminated at sunrise or sunset (e.g. Newgrange, La Hougue Bie and Lascaux and other caves in the region around Lascaux). If the illumination of a dark chamber at sunrise or sunset is an important part of the ritual carried out at these places, then it could imply that religious ceremonies at other places (e.g. stone circles or henges) also required similar conditions. A dark chamber could have been created at stone circles by erecting a temporary wigwam structure, but since there would be no evidence of any such structures, there is little point in further discussion. However, this line of thinking also implies that henges would normally have been roofed. A roof has been proposed for Woodhenge, but information regarding a roof on Stonehenge seems
to be a little more difficult to come by.
There is a report by A. Van de Pradenne in "Antiquity" in 1937 depicting Stonehenge with a roof on. I can send this article to anyone who is interested. However, when a roof is mentioned in relation to Stonehenge in the literature it is usually of the form "clearly Stonehenge was not designed to carry a roof". I'm not sure I would agree. It would seem that there have been discussions regarding a roof in this forum as one posting states "this brings us back to the question of a roof". I have not been able to find the original discussion. Certain features of Stonehenge are suggestive of a roof, e.g. the lintels and the "over engineering" involved in creating the mortice and tenon joints. Certain other aspects are suggestive too.

I'm sure all this must have been discussed/printed? elsewhere, but I cannot find very much apart from a totally OTT reconstruction suggested by Bruce Bedlam (see www.stonehenge.tv/roof.html)

Is anyone aware of other sources of information or where this topic has been discussed in books/articles or on the internet?

Thanks

Chris W

Reply | with quote
Posted by CGHW1
30th December 2007ce
09:25

Messages in this topic: