The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   The Rollright Stones Forum Start a topic | Search
The Rollright Stones
Re: Rollrights - another attack!
58 messages
Select a forum:
Hello Paul

Long time no hear, hows your daughter? Very interesting thread this..

However, to correct you somewhat, you did not "live at there for 2yrs". You were there from Easter to September for 2yrs on a self-employed casual basis. The arrangement being that I used to do your laundry, John or Tom would give you lifts,bring you here for baths etc. You took 50% of the daily takings (not including book/leaflet sales) and of course researched and sold your own books. Of which the last was very good if I remember. Does Tom still have any left? Pass on my regards if you are still in touch. I heard you had nice long winter holiday in Egypt at leaving us, I envy you, still hoping to go one day, were the pyramids everything you hoped for?

As to other points in other messages; "the lairds" by which I take it you mean Nat & Nick are standing down after 10yrs on the board and putting in some considerable assistance both practicable and financial during this time. I had thought about it myself, 10yrs of spending time, effort, tears and personal money as a Trustee is a long time, especially now I am working fulltime and studying towards a degree but, I was talked into staying until the educational side is fully up and running at least.

Yes the website is badly in need of updating but Pete K moved to Orkney, John has not been involved with the 'friends' for some time (the website is owned and maintained by the friends not the Trust) and the person who took over has had so many problems they have had little time to do anything. This is being looked into and when we are ready to launch the official Rollright Trust website we will make it known.

If you do have any inkling of who is doing the vandalism then so say. Or do you think the Trust should offer a reward out of the thousands we are supposed to take each year? Would a large financial reward encourage you to identify the individual who caused trouble when you were there?

Whoever is doing this does seem to have a grudge against the Trust taking any funds. In between fires there have been frequent attacks on signage and attempts to seal door locks and the donation box. Local youth responsible for arson attacks in Chipping Norton have been ruled out. Whoever is doing this turns up with heavy duty crowbars, cutting gear and other tools, premeditated, not spur of the moment vandalism.

Of course the Trust could just give in, pack up the building and leave the place without volunteers, which may well yet be an option if we have to keep shelling out for arson and other damage. Which would be a shame, we are still trying to build a reserve ready for the day we may be able to purchase the land we currently rent at the Kingstone and Whispering Knights, perhaps even pay extra for nearby land for parking, which would enable the Trust to remove the lay-by immediately behind the tall stone a definate improvement if we could! And of course at some indeterminate date in the future, restore and open the cold war bunker near the King Stone to the public (its another important if recent part of the site history).

By the way, the robins still come and 'tweet' at the volunteers when someone is coming and the circle is currently more brown than green due to the mole activity and we are no further in debating whether or not to re-erect one of the stones that has fallen due to mole activity since pics taken in the 1930-1940's.

Karin Attwood

quote="Paulus"]
Andy Norfolk wrote:
How about doing something positive?[/quote]

Such as? I didn't live there for 2yrs and NOT get an incredible affection for the place! The wildlife there used to come and sit on mi hands, feet and walk up my arms. Twas very very moving. And the real 'spirit' of that place had some strange and potent things to say upon occas

So what would you have me do?[/quote]

Reply | with quote
Posted by kattwood
22nd January 2008ce
16:37

1 reply:

Re: Rollrights - another attack! (Andy Norfolk)

Messages in this topic: