The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Normanton Down and Bush Barrow Forum Start a topic | Search
Normanton Down and Bush Barrow
Re: Where is this place?
5 messages
Select a forum:
Hi Rhiannon

My purpose is only to get the facts correct. Reading some of the other posts from Riotgibbon, I feel his entry was simply a mistake.

L.V. Grinsell, the God father of field archaeology and the man responsible for collecting information on the Stonehenge barrow groups, made reference

to this subject as follows......

THE STONEHENGE BARROW GROUPS 1979 - ISBN 0 9502338 8 9
The Normington group (page 31)

"Barrow 3 Disc-barrow (Hoare No.160), among the finest known. In small circular pit, a cremation with many beads of amber, shale and glass (?).
(There is evidence that this barrow has been used during this century for the insertion of token deposits of the burnt bones of deceased members of a

sect of modern Druids. Grinsell, 1978)"

Reference is made to the book: Druids and Stonehenge; the Story of a Myth, 1978 Grinsell, L.V., a copy of which I have yet to read.

The barrow referred to is directly opposite Bush Barrow, on the opposite side of the track, grid ref SU11554131. It has a SMR No.SU14SW849 and is

included with Bush Barrow, as Scheduled Monument No.SM10317. Further information can be found at
http://history.wiltshire.gov.uk/smr/getsmr.php?id=12824

Why this barrow was singled out for such ritual, which Druid sect was responsible or when, remains a modern mystery.

Reply | with quote
Chance
Posted by Chance
21st November 2007ce
12:31

In reply to:

Where is this place? (Chance)

Messages in this topic: