The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Milltown Forum Start a topic | Search
Milltown
Re: The other stones on the map
7 messages
Select a forum:
The stone in the pics is in the field beside the Milestone house & stone, on the same side of the road (the gate just before the one for the B&B). The map has a rock art marked on the other side and down the road a bit. I had a look here but found nothing. From what I could see, there are three large stones in the field with the rock art that are ex-standing stone candidates, then there's the milestone on the same side of the road. Across the road, at the far end of a long field is a large conspicuous stone. I couldn't see any other monuments in the area after a good look around.

Don't know about the 'Gates of Glory' but the field where the RA is marked on the map has a gate which I have dubbed 'The Gates of Pain' due to every inch of it being wound with barbed wire!

I have some photos of the RA showing the milestone as well as the house which I will be putting up soon. The carvings are very badly weathered apart from one or two very deep C&R's, the old water trick was of no use at all!

Reply | with quote
CianMcLiam
Posted by CianMcLiam
12th September 2007ce
10:34

In reply to:

The other stones on the map (FourWinds)

Messages in this topic: