The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Ballynahow Beg Forum Start a topic | Search
Ballynahow Beg
Re: Rock Art and Astronomical Events
23 messages
Select a forum:
Paulus wrote:
FourWinds wrote:
I was at a coastal Neolithic citadel in Spain the other day. As we approached I could see a whirlpool about 50m offshore. Was the citadel built here because it overlooked this wondeful phenomenon? Was it built there because it was next to the sea? I dunno, because I don't know what the coast here looked like when it was built. However, I do know that overlooking this whirlpool there is a great simulcra. I assume that this has been there for a long time. There were no such simulcras at the other similar settlements we visited. So, is the presence of the simulcra at one site a fluke because there aren't any at other sites?

Surely such questions are unimportant? Simulacrum is primarily embedded, and has its origins in, animistic thinking systems. Nonsensical surely? And an attribution of one thing to something completely seperate (citadel to whirlpool) was purely an aesthetic thing to them, or summat to impress their friends surely? I can't see what brings you to make any relationship of these two ingredients, beyond you having a purely personal fancy for it. Delusion perhaps? :@)

And I couldn't argue that it's anything other than a particular fancy on my part. In fact I think the realtionship of water feature to site is highly unlikely. It may even be delusion and I'm perfectly willing to accept that being the case. The great big rock that looks like a huge head as you walk through the entrance is (probably) a little more significant ... well, it would have been if I'd built the citadel, and that's the only thing any of us can say when it comes to subjective things :-)

Reply | with quote
FourWinds
Posted by FourWinds
12th September 2007ce
17:17

Messages in this topic: