The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Langdale Axe Factory Forum Start a topic | Search
Langdale Axe Factory
Re: Some Axe Factory Questions
48 messages
Select a forum:
fitzcoraldo wrote:
I think it's not just about the appearance but also the story/history of the winning the stone. A number of axe production sites throughout our islands were almost inaccessible, liminal places that were chosen over more accessible sites. A journey had to be undertaken to reach the sites. Perhaps some of these axes may have been seen as representing mythical objects, perhaps the neolithic predesessors of Mjollnir or Labrys.

Indeed. It was one hell of a trip to fetch the raw materials.

fitzcoraldo wrote:

It's also interesting to speculate as to what else was part of this exchange system. Obviously axes, amber, jet etc remain because of the material they are made of and the nature of their deposition but you can imagine a whole range of goods, livestock and perhaps even people being part of this exchange network.

Yep. Fabrics with exotic patterns, jam, weapons & preserved shrooms. A lot of things can form a dowry or a birthday/coronation present

fitzcoraldo wrote:
It makes me wonder what exactly could have been stored in many of those widely distributed (?exchanged) beakers and other pots that turn up buried in ritual sites throughout our islands. One intriguing glimpse into this may be the remains of the henbane porridge that turn up at Balfarg.
You can keep your Fulacht ale, mines a small dollop of double turbo-charged neolithic red bull (-:

That is a very interesting thought. Were the beakers exchanged? i.e. have the raw materials used been traced to far away places? I've not heard of any such analysis.

Reply | with quote
FourWinds
Posted by FourWinds
14th August 2007ce
21:09

In reply to:

Re: Some Axe Factory Questions (fitzcoraldo)

1 reply:

Re: Some Axe Factory Questions (rockartwolf)

Messages in this topic: