The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Langdale Axe Factory Forum Start a topic | Search
Langdale Axe Factory
Re: Some Axe Factory Questions
48 messages
Select a forum:
FourWinds wrote:
Thanks for all that. I've got some of the bits mentioned and will hunt out the other bits.

I can't help asking though .... trade? exchange networks? What's the difference? Sounds like someone trying to 'business-speak' an old idea to me.

I'll take a stab at it
Trade implies axes moving as a commercial undertaking, goods being produced for a market, goods being pedalled by merchants, bulk transportation, market forces etc

whereas exchange networks imply I will give you something of a treasured posession, it means a great deal to me, it has a history and may have been in my family for generations and may even have a name. It is used to bond our relationship etc.
It implies that it is people rather than goods that move across the landscape.

I'm currently offshore otherwise I'm sure I could find some suitable quote form Bradley that would sum it up more eloquantly. Mark Edmonds also discusses this in the Creag Na Caillich report mentioned earlier.

cheers
fitz

Reply | with quote
fitzcoraldo
Posted by fitzcoraldo
14th August 2007ce
18:37

In reply to:

Re: Some Axe Factory Questions (FourWinds)

1 reply:

Re: Some Axe Factory Questions (FourWinds)

Messages in this topic: