The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Langdale Axe Factory Forum Start a topic | Search
Langdale Axe Factory
Re: Some Axe Factory Questions
48 messages
Select a forum:
rockartwolf wrote:
Are you thinking that there perhaps might be some possible long lost axe factory, maybe somewhere in the Galloway hills, on the trade route from Strathclyde down to Galloway?

Brian

I'm not sure. There does seem to be gaps in the story that I've gathered so far. This bit is a diversion from what I'm really after, though :-)

I was originally looking at the trade links between Scotland and Ireland, after reading of the large number of Antrim axes found in Aberdeenshire. There are a number of papers out there on this, but I have only found a few extracts so far. The Clyde is an obvious link, but with the Carlingford/Clyde Tomb category no longer being accepted as a group it's playing a bit of a game. There were obvious trade links and yet the archaeo bods seem to want to strip away another link by splitting the tomb category. Most confusing and I'm trying to get my head around it. Early days yet, which is why I'm after loadsa sources.

Reply | with quote
FourWinds
Posted by FourWinds
13th August 2007ce
21:00

In reply to:

Re: Some Axe Factory Questions (rockartwolf)

Messages in this topic: