The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Kilmartin Area Forum Start a topic | Search
Kilmartin Area
Re: RA Query
21 messages
Select a forum:
Pilgrim wrote:
Marked, then raised? Or the reverse?

Eyup,

Fwiw, I reckon the former.

Can't quite explain why I think this, except for the scarcity of RA on vertical surfaces, and the fact that re-use of cist covers etc from open air panels seems to have been quite fashionable in the bronze age, which is when the Largie stuff seems to have been put up.

I think it would have taken more effort to have marked a vertical face, as gravity is obviously against you, though the stone picks and mallets that are though to have been used weren't all that heavy.

There are only 3 examples of RA on vertical outcrop I can think of, Ballochmyle, Morwick and Hawthornden. Though it could be argued thatsome of the motifs at Buttony are on vertical surfaces too.

Of course, seeing as how no-one really has much of a clue as to what the heck it's all about anyway, maybe there were different sets of rules for BA stones, and it maybe whilst it was OK to prise a motif off an existing panel to use as a cist cover, it might have been unthinkable to do the same for a standing stone.

In defence of the 'Raised then marked' idea, I can't think of any marked standing stones that look like they show signs of having been quarried, (though that might well be because the marked stones were once earthfast glacial erratics).

Reply | with quote
Hob
Posted by Hob
10th July 2007ce
18:41

In reply to:

RA Query (Pilgrim)

1 reply:

Re: RA Query (tiompan)

Messages in this topic: