The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Walderslade Woods Forum Start a topic | Search
Walderslade Woods
Re: It's g(RA)m up north
66 messages
Select a forum:
tiompan wrote:
slumpystones wrote:
tiompan wrote:
slumpystones wrote:

PPS What's the closest recorded cup-and-ring/rockart to these?

There are cups at Fyfield , on sarsen ,but the rock found at Knowlton is probably the nearest with rings too . Came Down barrow has two rocks with rings ,still in situ .

In other words, a bloody long way then?

Better go look for these others a bit sharpish, though I believe they are claimed to be cups only, which means I won't be able to verify either way.

"Mum, have you got that camera...?"

When you consider that the majority of the west country examples tend to have come from burial associations i.e. not free standing ( see these for some buried limestone oddities http://rockartuk.fotopic.net/c908223.html ) or possibly much later due to metal tooling then it's Wales or Peak district you are looking at for something close to Kent .

Unfortunately there's no way of knowing the origin of these stones, they could well have been chamber stones or just laying on the ground. The two standing stones do resemble one of the uprights from the facade at Coldrum, being triangular and up on edge. What has to be remembered is that Kent's prehistoric archaeology tends to lean towards Holland rather than Wessex, so any comparison with anything else in this country tends to be iffy.

And of course, they are older than the rest of the chambered tombs too...imagine, these could be the oldest recorded rock art in the country!

Reply | with quote
slumpystones
Posted by slumpystones
4th July 2007ce
08:29

In reply to:

It's g(RA)m up north (tiompan)

Messages in this topic: