The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   General Discussion Forum Start a topic | Search
The Modern Antiquarian
Re: Ancient sites: Protect or Use?
225 messages
Select a forum:
nigelswift wrote:
"I think there's a case to be made for your point of view, but I think there's equally a case to be made for those who wish to leave non-destructive offerings."

Well no, I think they have no case whatsoever actually

That's a really good starting point for dialogue and understanding! They clearly do have a case - just not one that you sympathise with. You can put close your eyes and pretend the sky doesn't exist all you want to - it's still there. Disagree with them - fine. Argue that such actions are destructive - fine. But try and understand that not everyone sees the world in the same way that you do, and whether you disagree with their actions or not, it may be that they feel they're acting with integrity - in exactly the same way that you do.

nigelswift wrote:
and although there's a case for everyone else to tolerate them doing it a bit it ought to be on the understanding that its a concession by the rest not a natural right to be claimed.

There's no such thing as "natural rights", so that's a non-argument to start with. Perhaps your right to enjoy the stones is a concession of the land-owner who doesn't drive you off with a gun? We're entering the realm of abstract ethics here.

nigelswift wrote:
As I see it, we each own a bit of a site for as long as we're there. Like Time Share. But the moment we walk away our ownership ceases. The idea that anyone can walk away yet leave something imposed upon a site proclaiming to others they still "own" it is completely unfair.

You're making a rather large assumption there! I don't think that a statement of ownership is inherent in such actions - simply inferred. And what greater statement of ownership is there than to say that nobody has a right to enjoy an ancient site except in ways that meet with your approval? I mean I'm essentially on your side here, but even I'm finding that attitude a little hard to swallow. I can only imagine the degree to which it alienates the people you really need to convince!

Reply | with quote
Posted by Mustard
27th June 2007ce
08:48

In reply to:

Re: Ancient sites: Protect or Use? (nigelswift)

Messages in this topic: