The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   General Discussion Forum Start a topic | Search
The Modern Antiquarian
Re: Ancient sites: Protect or Use?
225 messages
Select a forum:
I, personally, quite like the stone signs, and think it's nice that someone is so openly looking out for these places. It's quite reassuring. Our last visit to Men-An-Tol and the Nine Maidens was an absolute treat - I've never seen those places in such good nick! I keep meaning to write a fieldnote about it (and possibly still will). They are a credit to heritage protection, and the message should be spread far and wide...

With regards offerings... Well, we've been here before, quite a few times on this forum, and my personal belief is that people should leave the site, as the aforementioned signs state, as we found them. No offerings. Although I'm never offended by the odd flower or 2 (as long as they've not been picked from the site in the first place! Which I've seen before. Kind of defeats the object of an offering if you ask me!) And - now I know some people disagree, while others will agree - I will always, whenever possible, remove offending articles from a site and dispose of them in the appropriate manner so the next person can enjoy it.

I think that's me! :o)

G x

Reply | with quote
goffik
Posted by goffik
26th June 2007ce
14:45

Messages in this topic: