The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Bryn Celli Ddu Forum Start a topic | Search
Bryn Celli Ddu
Bryn Celli Ddu images
4 messages
Select a forum:
I've just posted up a whole buncha images for Bryn Celli Ddu...

Rather than explain under each picture, I thought i'd post this information on the message board. I hope that's OK.

I have never been to Bryn Celli Ddu, but would love to! I knew nothing about the place except for what I have recently read on TMA.

--- WF ---

All images are from a document entitled 'The Chambered Cairn of Bryn Celli Ddu' by W J Hemp FSA and published by the Society of Antiquaries of London. It was published in 1930, I presume after the digs in 1928/29.

I have tried to treat the images as best I could from my scanner. There was a 'moire pattern' on all the photographs from the half tone process used at the time of printing - apologies.

Some of the information supplied with the images is relevant to the document and may not make complete sense (i.e. 'A', 'Figure 3' etc). I have tried to annotate as best I can.

I chopped up one of the scans from a single page (the cut through illustrations) into four distinct pieces to make it easier to see each piece.

The document was oversize A4 and just fit onto the flatbed. It was also very delicate, so there may be a few edges missing - apologies.

I did most of them at the 720 max pixel size (hope that's OK with file sizes too - TMA ed's), sorry for delays on some (slower) connections.

They are in no particular order.

I had today (Monday) off from work, so that's why I had a chance to finally do this (and yes, I missed most of the sunshine as a result....... cue violins, martydom and vain hope of empathy!)

The next time I get some more time off, I'll try to post up some choice pieces of text from the document.

I hope this sheds some light on the interior of Bryn Celli Ddu, so to speak. Tangnefedd.

:-)

Reply | with quote
wysefool
Posted by wysefool
30th April 2007ce
15:37

Messages in this topic: