The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   General Discussion Forum Start a topic | Search
The Modern Antiquarian
Re: Trethevy Quoit: Cornwall’s Megalithic Masterpiece
461 messages
Select a forum:
Just like the current Glastonbury thread, the original Trethevy book thread ranged along the border separating those people who want (expect) their opinion to be accepted as fact, and those people who want some evidence, or at least an acknowledgement that the opinion asserted is just that, an opinion.

The comments made and questions asked in that (Trethevy) thread really just highlighted that there were other possibilities than the one being presented as the only "correct" answer. And to be honest they were nothing compared to the response that any theory that did not account for other (more likely) scenarios would be expected to counter if presented to the "expert" community that was so badly denigrated.

I suspect this is a border TMA discussion will no doubt straddle again. I'd like to think TMA won't become another "Mysteries" forum, personally. To question or to challenge shouldn't be demonised. Nigel made a comment in the Glastonbury thread along the lines that evidence is not the enemy of free thought (sorry if I've misquoted), and I completely agree with that.

Fair play to Roy for writing his book and getting it published, but doing so doesn't mean that everyone will automatically accept the contents as being the only answer, or will immediately dismiss the findings of earlier researchers who have come to a different conclusion.

Reply | with quote
thesweetcheat
Posted by thesweetcheat
2nd August 2013ce
19:39

Messages in this topic: