The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Staffordshire Forum Start a topic | Search
Staffordshire
Golds Clump
2 messages
Select a forum:
Does anyone here have any info on a weird conical hill next to the south side of the Watling street at the village of Hints in Staffordshire. After reading the thread "Barrow cut through by the Romans" I instantly thought of this place. From Northamptonshire to Shropshire the Watling (lots say the Watling is pre Roman) goes through flat featureless countryside. Until at Hints it climbs a hill and passes over a ridge where Golds Clump sits. There is a bit of village history here "http://"hints-village.com/bb.html and it is suggested it may be pre Roman. A few years ago i was working on a barn conversion for an old local farmer who said there was some" Roman stones??" on the North side of the Watling up the hill. I`ve not seen any but this beautiful little area is being destroyed by gravel extraction day by day

Reply | with quote
Posted by mercian
22nd November 2006ce
10:24

1 reply:

Re: Golds Clump (mercian)

Messages in this topic:

Golds Clump (mercian, Nov 22, 2006, 10:24)