The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Cumbria Forum Start a topic | Search
Cumbria
Re: Cumbria Rock Art?????
14 messages
Select a forum:
The Eternal wrote:
The large slab at the side of the road opposite is intriguing too, with its many huge "cup" marks. Natural, or man-made? Let me know what you think.

Fitzcoraldo found another Great Langdale rock art site near the campsite, and although I've not seen it, I've walked past it numerous times, and it's in a great position. Again, see the Cumbria section of TMA.

Hi Mr E
I would say that the "huge cup marks" are almost definitely not man made but are features that are probably caused by the weathering out of pebbles.
"The BVG (Borrowdale Volcanic Group) rock at these localities is not homogenous in composition, but is composed of many particles (clasts) ranging from millimeters to meters in diameter. The BVG here is a sedimentary rock, in fact pebble sized conglomerate composed of volcanic debris"
Taken from the contentious article
'Neolithic, natural or new? Critical observations of cup and ring petroglphs in Langdale Cumbria' by Haszeldine and Haszeldine.

I wish I had found the Gt Langdale site but the credit for that falls to Gabriel M Blamires

Reply | with quote
fitzcoraldo
Posted by fitzcoraldo
15th September 2006ce
13:10

In reply to:

Re: Cumbria Rock Art????? (The Eternal)

1 reply:

Re: Cumbria Rock Art????? (The Eternal)

Messages in this topic: