The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Castlerigg Forum Start a topic | Search
Castlerigg
Re: Congrats Hob
26 messages
Select a forum:
Rhiannon wrote:
I am right in thinking that the article doesn't include the photo of the spiral when it actually 'existed'? which is a bit of a shame.

You're right, it's not there, and it is a shame, as it's quite a clear spiral. One of the things I've wondered about, is moisture retention. A thin layer of lichen/bryophyte is sufficient to retain enough water to make it look significantly darker than surrounding stone, if it's been a bit windy, and the water on the surrounding rock has evaporated away.

Regarding Stan's rubbing, I think there my have been a bit of relief there when he did them (Though I suspect he does 'enhance' the salient areas of the rubbing), but if it were youghurt induced flora, it probably wouldn't survive long at such a heavily visited site as Castlerigg. There may even be something in the oblique allegation in the article that the acid in blank newsprint (The paper Stan used) may have hastened erosion of lichen, though I'm not so sure it would be sufficiently concentrated to significantly erode the stone itself.

Reply | with quote
Hob
Posted by Hob
14th September 2006ce
17:35

In reply to:

Re: Congrats Hob (Rhiannon)

2 replies:

Re: Congrats Hob (rocknicker)
Re: Congrats Hob (StoneLifter)

Messages in this topic: