The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Castlerigg Forum Start a topic | Search
Castlerigg
Re: Congrats Hob
26 messages
Select a forum:
Well I never, Chris and Hob quoted in a paper, how exciting.
I am right in thinking that the article doesn't include the photo of the spiral when it actually 'existed'? which is a bit of a shame.

Stan's rubbing of it is so very neat (I suppose the culmination of lots of messier ones tidied up as he went along?). Presumably he must have been rubbing over something that was different heights from the stone (you can't imagine that a highly experienced stone-frottager like him would be totally imagining being able to take a rubbing off something that was just pigment on the rock)? Anyway my point is, regardless of whether the spiral was there because of pigment or becuase of lichen growing preferentially on a nice yoghurty (etc) base:

- Supposing you get a pattern becasue of lichen, wouldn't the fancy new techniques record this as different heights from the stone, and consequently think that a carving did exist? Can the new techniques distinguish the two? The article was about how old techniques like feeling and rubbing and running around with a sheet over your head might not be as reliable as you'd like. But couldn't there be problems with the new technique?

Reply | with quote
Rhiannon
Posted by Rhiannon
14th September 2006ce
10:02

In reply to:

Congrats Hob (FourWinds)

1 reply:

Re: Congrats Hob (Hob)

Messages in this topic: