The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Rostellan Forum Start a topic | Search
Rostellan
Re: Saleen
5 messages
Select a forum:
FourWinds wrote:
bawn79 wrote:
Worse case Id say a gps and a good stick would get you a lot of the way. There is a path up to 500m away but it started to become overgrown and I hadn't anything to break through with.

Did you need a big stick? I'll be heading there on Sunday if the low tide time checks out ok.

You wont need a stick for the forest but I'd bring one to check the mud, could be one of them indy jones quick-sand situations.

I don't know much about portal tombs but to me this is a beauty and very photogenic. As I say below just be careful with the tide, you won't get trapped or anything but it could be very uncomfortable.

Update:
Well I made it over to it yesterday at about 3pm (4th April) and the tide was well out. Im from the midlands so don't know much about tides you will have to check them yourself.
Its a great looking portal tomb, about 1.75-2m high and to me looks in great condition considering this gets covered in water everyday day of the year. It is actually facing east with, a large stone lieing flat covered in sea-weed that may be the missing stone.
The top of the cap seems to be white and I dont know whether this is the colour of the stone or some kind of paint on it.
To get there follow the path shown on the OS map, you pass some council houses one has a caravan parked outside, until you come to a fallen tree on the path. After this turn right and you come out of the woods into the beginning of the estaury/ wetland. Then just follow the edge of the water, I would advise bringing wellies and a good stick to check the mud that you are walking on.

Reply | with quote
bawn79
Posted by bawn79
5th April 2007ce
13:50

In reply to:

Re: Saleen (FourWinds)

1 reply:

Re: Saleen (FourWinds)

Messages in this topic:

Saleen (FourWinds, Aug 30, 2006, 11:02)
    • Re: Saleen (bawn79, Aug 30, 2006, 11:30)
      • Re: Saleen (FourWinds, Apr 05, 2007, 12:26)
        • Re: Saleen (bawn79, Apr 05, 2007, 13:50)