The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Great Langdale Forum Start a topic | Search
Great Langdale
Re: Nice one Fitz
10 messages
Select a forum:
Hi, Fitz,
I know Bill Birkett lives in Little Langdale, so maybe I can find a contact. In his book he also lays claim to a cove-like structure in the hollow between Blea Tarn and the Ting Mound at the bottom of Wrynose Pass. I've never investigated it due to being en-route to other things.......perhaps next time you're passing?
Out of interest, Bill was one of the leading climbers, especially in the Lakes, in the '80s. His dad was one of Britains best climbers (again in the Lakes) of the '30s and '40s. Just to keep the tradition going, Bill's nephew, Dave Birkett, is one of the leading climbers of the present day, based in the Lakes, but climbing as hard as anyone in the country. He's the one on the outrageous, soaring, overhanging arete in the first photo on the link below:-
http://www.frcc.co.uk/rock/newroutes/index.htm
Regards,
TE.

Reply | with quote
The Eternal
Posted by The Eternal
24th August 2006ce
22:59

In reply to:

Re: Nice one Fitz (fitzcoraldo)

Messages in this topic: