The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Stonehenge and its Environs Forum Start a topic | Search
Stonehenge and its Environs
Re: Stukeley's Stonehenge
35 messages
Select a forum:
nigelswift wrote:
Just a glance through gives me a very strong sense that it is only due to poeple like him that people like me bother going there at all.

Funny you should say that, I feel rather that way. Looking at it all using his sketches is far more interesting than a modern guide.

I think it might sober up quite a few of the people who go there for ANY reason to realise that his ilk started it.

The meaning of the place for me, as a Druid, also owes its origins to his attempts to analyse the history of the place.

I think he made one of the best mistakes in historical analysis ever, though arguably he was not wrong in his Iron Age assertions. Just reaching for the truth in the same way we still are. We just have the advantage of being able to reach further due to folks like him.

Standing on the shoulders of Giants indeed...

Reply | with quote
Cursuswalker
Posted by Cursuswalker
24th August 2006ce
13:25

In reply to:

Re: Stukeley's Stonehenge (nigelswift)

Messages in this topic: