The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   West Yorkshire Forum Start a topic | Search
West Yorkshire
Re: Ilkley Moor-Paulus's camp fire
11 messages
Select a forum:
Paulus wrote:
Hi Dave!
< Did you guys get up there? >
Nope! 'fraid I ventured more onto the Keighley moors instead of Ilkley, cos they'd been on fire aswell. A few place-names caught my attention & I was lucky to find the William Walker Stone for one. Another venture out tomorrow!

Good find!

We went up today but didn't see much. There was some interesting 'walling'(?) just west of Whetstone Gate, and summat else that reminded me of Bradley Long Cairn... took some pics, but they didn't come out too well.

After 10 days the moors are still smouldering,you can feel the heat through yer boots! And every so often flames will spring up. Like walking around some vulcanistic landscape!

If you're going to look for rock art, take a stiff brush! The rocks are covered in a thick layer of ash. You can't see much. It'll probabley be better after it all gets washed off over winter...

So... next spring... :-)

Reply | with quote
David Raven
Posted by David Raven
5th August 2006ce
16:06

Messages in this topic: