The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Cairnholy Forum Start a topic | Search
Cairnholy
Thank you!
11 messages
Select a forum:
http://www.themodernantiquarian.com/post/48733

"Who is that handsome bastard?"

I didn't know where to post this, but Pebbles seems to have given me the ideal opportunity to give a big public "THANK YOU!!!" to she herself and Wolfnighthunter for showing me and Mrs G around after the Wickerman Festival...

High Banks is an absolutely amazing example of rockart, and I would recommend anyone to go have a look! The quantity of carvings, and the patterns they create, are truly unique. What a lovely place! The cows were delightfully frisky, and threatened a couple of times to stampede in our direction. But bless 'em. They probably only want a cuddle...

Cairnholy is also a must if you're in the area. One of the "Hollywood" sites, and dead easy to find, but this doesn't diminish the splendour in any way. Cairnholy1 Reminded us of Waylands Smithy in a lot of ways. Cairnholy2 felt like a very peacful place, with fantastic views across the water to Arran (I think!)

The icing on the cake had to be the stones at Kirkdale House... These are mad! Some beautiful individual pieces of rockart - stored in a shed! Kind of. What a great garden ornament! Bit like Hob's back garden. ;o)

That was pretty much all we had time for, sadly, but with such a taster, our appetites have been well and truly whetted, and we shall return...

More thanks must go to Sals, who recommended the fantastic campsite at Castlerigg Farm, in Keswick. Superb site with excellent facilities (the pub just along from it has an entirely vegetarian menu, which is a rarity in itself!) So we spent the next couple of days bombing around the Lake District looking at more circles, which was ace.

Hope we can all meet up again soon!

G x

[edit: I did actually add href links to each of the sites but they're not working! Dunno why - they're there when I go to edit it... Ah, well...]

Reply | with quote
goffik
Posted by goffik
27th July 2006ce
11:21

3 replies:

Re: Thank you! (rocknicker)
Re: Thank you! (rockartuk)
Re: Thank you! (The Eternal)

Messages in this topic: