The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Stonehenge and its Environs Forum Start a topic | Search
Stonehenge and its Environs
Re: The bluestone debate
390 messages
Select a forum:
Littlestone wrote:
Choosing a site like Stonehenge had very likely nothing to do with the availability of stone.

That's an interesting observation Mr t.

Earlier in the year I sat for a while near the edge of Stonehenge and, while marvelling at its structure (just sit there for a while and look - it may not be big in modern terms but it is enormous by any other definition), couldn't help asking myself - why here? I can see why Avebury, and especially Silbury, may have been set where they are but Stonehenge? Forget for a moment the question of moving or not moving the bluestones from Preseli - what on earth was so special about this place that inspired the builders of Stonehenge to build there?

Dunno if you are talking specifically about Stonehenge or the general area . I reckon the latter may have a lot to do with it rather than the site itself . It had been cleared and the cursus (plural) and Robin Hoods Ball and some barrows are huge earlier monuments that indicate the general area was important before the building of the new "cemetery " in the suburbs .

Reply | with quote
tiompan
Posted by tiompan
14th December 2008ce
09:44

In reply to:

Re: The bluestone debate (Littlestone)

Messages in this topic: