The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Baltinglass Hill Forum Start a topic | Search
Baltinglass Hill
Re: Calling Fourwinds/Bawn79
13 messages
Select a forum:
<I'm impressed that you found Killakee, especially in the dark! It's a lovely spot up there.>

It's 5 minutes from the gaff man (in the motor). If I can't find that one I might as well give up. ;-) It took a bit of time though. Your dry stone wall directions helped, once I found the right wall!

<Out of interest, which route did you take up Baltinglass Hill? There are a couple of cairns along the ridge to the north of the passage tombs, but the only time I've been up there it was blowing a gale and I bottled out of going to find them.>

The shit route. I've been putting off writing a blog about goin up there. We (my non-megalithic mate, sprout and me) ended up having to kick our way through gorse that was above head height. A effin nightmare. I felt a total prat for bringin Maurice up there, and the poor dog was exhausted with the heat. He drank more of our water than we did.

The actual route we took was up the side of the cemetery and to try to make it to the cross. I still haven't bought a compass and looking at the map that seemed best. Wrong!

I had scouted around the north side of the mountain in the car but couldn't find a route that didn't cross private land. I reckon we were close to 500 metres from the fort at one stage. Coming back down we landed north-west of the cemetery. There's signs saying Private Property etc. but nobody said anything to us. I believe I discovered THE way, if you're heading up from the cemetery road. There's some sort of electricity sub-station or summat about 500 metres up the road just back from the place called Sruhaun on the map, nor north west of the cemetery. It has big gates but a tiny fence and I spotted some walkers heading up the well-worn track at the back of it. It may look longer to the fort as the crow flies, but the slope is gentler.

Incidentally, I was up on Seahan last night and saw your new discovery. It's cute (can I say that about a tomb?). My favourite is the wedge tomb, so forlorn there like it's about to fall off the edge of the mountain. :-)

Reply | with quote
ryaner
Posted by ryaner
8th June 2006ce
08:38

In reply to:

Calling Fourwinds/Bawn79 (ryaner)

1 reply:

Re: Calling Fourwinds/Bawn79 (FourWinds)

Messages in this topic: