The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Fortingall Churchyard Forum Start a topic | Search
Fortingall Churchyard
Re: Buried stones and yew trees
21 messages
Select a forum:
I guess a certain mythology has grown up around Yew trees (no pun intended), because they can be exceptionally long lived. Generally, if old enough, it's about the only tree that can regrow itself from re rooting it's branches (i.e. where the branches reach the ground, they take root, and feed the tree when the heartwood has died and rotted away, leading to an humungous girth, and the appearance of the tree being part of a group or 'grove' for want of a better word).
I think there is a huge on in Hampshire somewhere rumoured to be 3000 years old or something. Not quite as old as the Bristle Cone Pines of North America which some are believed to be upwards of 5000 years +, but fairly old for Europe.
Though having said that, there are Hornbeams in Epping Forest which are around 1000 years old due to prolonged coppicing.

Reply | with quote
Posted by Telepathine
3rd January 2002ce
15:36

In reply to:

Re: Buried stones and yew trees (IronMan)

Messages in this topic: