The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Callanish Forum Start a topic | Search
Callanish
Re: Simple answers please
62 messages
Select a forum:
>Unless it's crappily cloudy, of course. That'd be a real pisser!

The bastard clouds!

Want to know the happiest place in the World? It was the breakfast room at the Turkish hotel I was in a month ago on the morning of the solar eclipse. The sky was clear blue, without even a little stray cloud, and the assembled astronomers were, well, relieved is *quite* an understatement.
People were, including myself, walking around with stupid grins. It was like "yea, we're gonna see it! thank fuck!!" (Many there were in Cornwall '99 and clouded out).
I estimated, with loss of earnings (I'm self employed) it cost me upwards of £1,000 to see that two and a half minutes of totallity. If it had been cloudy . . . I'd have wept openly I reckon!

Of course, you've more of a chance of cloud on Lewis than Turkey! Plus, you'll be looking at the low horizon, which means more chance of haze. *BUT* You'll be at Callanish stones. I went there two years ago and was blissed out without a moon at all, let alone a 'significant' moon.

So, try and think of a clear sky as a bonus, enjoy the stones! (it's easy for me to say isn't it?).

But the way the eclipse chasers rationalise it is "go there and you MIGHT see it - stay at home, you definitley WON'T".

Good luck! You lucky duck!

Reply | with quote
suave harv
Posted by suave harv
10th May 2006ce
17:19

In reply to:

Re: Simple answers please (FourWinds)

Messages in this topic: