The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Great Orme Mine Forum Start a topic | Search
13 messages
Select a forum:
I was watching a rerun of 'Coast' the other night, and they were at the copper mine on the Great Orme. The archaeologist was rootling through all these tupperware boxes of finds but she only found two bits of human bone, and they were from recent centuries.

I suppose the mining went on long after the bronze age, so anything of that era could have been lost (though it seems unlikely consider the trillion other bits and pieces from then that that they found - bones for digging out the ore). But really it seems likely that there were no human bones left there.

Now I was just thinking - well, it's such an important place to the society, and the copper was traded far and wide, you'd imagine there'd be an amount of superstition connected with the place. You know, a few little tokens left lying around to ensure everything kept going alright. But these weren't mentioned. I wondered if anything like that was found or not? Clearly no-one was buried in the mine. (you wouldn't get me in those tunnels in a month of sundays I have to say).

It also brought to my mind the figure supposedly found in the flint mines at Grimes Graves - thought to be highly suspicious and probably planted there by one of the people excavating (either to be funny or as a supposedly genuine 'look what I found aren't I clever' artefact).

Sorry these are kind of unformed thoughts but I thought I'd mention it, see what anyone else could think of.

Reply | with quote
Rhiannon
Posted by Rhiannon
8th May 2006ce
09:06

7 replies:

Re: A thought (moss)
Re: A thought (fitzcoraldo)
Re: A thought (Chris Collyer)
Re: A thought (Hob)
Re: A thought (Rhiannon)
Question on your King Arthur's Round Table post (Cerwyd)
Re: A thought (StoneLifter)

Messages in this topic: