The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Machuim Forum Start a topic | Search
Machuim
Re: Machium (for Winterjc)
3 messages
Select a forum:
Hi Martin,
Hopefully as soon as my mate's car is back on the road, Ill get up to Killin / south end of Loch Tay - it's definitely the place I plan to go next - and I'll get posting.
Re. the Castleton site. About 2 weeks ago, a book by the Stirling municipal archaologist, Lorna Main was published, and contained a close up photo of cup and ring markings at Castleton. The markings I saw when I visited the site, were weathered and basic, but this photo showed an intricate and well preserved marking akin to the quality of the markings at Kilmichael Glassary or Achnabreck - I have to see this!
This is the first and , as far as I know,the only mention of Castleton in any book.
The book coming out just days after I posted to the MA re. Castleton, has renewed my obsession with this place and I think I might contact Lorna Main for more details of the site and visit soon. I'll let you know how it goes.

cheers winterjc

ps keep up the excellent Scottish stuff - I dont get the chance to travel outside Scotland too often and it's appreciated. Keep an eye on some new sites I'm going to post soon.

Reply | with quote
Posted by winterjc
5th December 2001ce
01:19

In reply to:

Machium (for Winterjc) (Martin)

1 reply:

Re: Machium (for Winterjc) (Martin)

Messages in this topic: