The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Stonehenge Forum Start a topic | Search
Stonehenge
Pick the bones out of this
71 messages
Select a forum:
It seems to me that the need to improve the A303 has been presented as an opportunity to improve Stonehenge, and mixing the two issues has been to the detriment of the latter. Not the least of the disadvantages is that there will be no improvement to Stonehenge until the main scheme is resolved, and that looks like it is still decades away.

So I was thinking, isn't there a case for putting the A303 on one side and calling for some obvious improvements in the short term, quite independent of the main issue? How about this -

1.) Rip up the bloody A344 together with its hedges and fences and turf it over. Hooray!
2.) Demolish the bloody visitors centre, every stick of it, transport it a few miles away and have a huge bonfire and festival with lots of beer.
3.) Rip up the adjacent carpark and returf it. Yay!
4.) Pull down the damn fence that imprisons the monument.
5.) Abandon all talk of a £60m new visitors centre. Who needs an interactive cyber experience? EH, that's who.
6.) Stop pretending that "free access to the stones" is practicable. Keep to the existing "movable ropes" system, with limited full access in the evenings. There's no way that a million people a year can trample in there - unless you want it laid with astro-turf, which I don't.
7.) Insist that anyone who applies for a job as a uniformed curator undergoes psychological profiling so as to weed out those of an officious bastard tendency.
8.) Set up an ample area for visitor parking three, four or six miles to the North or West, together with modest interpretation displays and privately run retail and food outlets.
9.) Run ample low impact shuttle buses to approach from the North West over variable strengthened trackways, terminating at a pick up and alighting point adjacent to the pedestrian tunnel.
10.) Add some toilets and nowt else.
10.) Charge a tenner for the whole deal. I can't for the life of me see why there should be so much moaning about that. It would raise ten million a year which ought to go a long way to making the whole of the improvements self-financing.

Reply | with quote
nigelswift
Posted by nigelswift
4th February 2006ce
11:26

Messages in this topic: