The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Hampshire Forum Start a topic | Search
Hampshire
Re: At least they're trying...
15 messages
Select a forum:
Right - I've taken some pictures - not very good ones on my phone, but I felt stoopid with loads of people walking past staring at me, so I just snapped some pics and legged it...

I'll pop them online somewhere at some point in the next decade if anyone's interested...

This brings me onto a subject I've been meaning to broach here for a while...

There are 3 remaining boundary stones, that I know of, in Southampton - The Hode Cross Stone, the Rosemary Stone (both in Bassett), and... some other one whose name currently escapes me... :o/ It's at Woodmill, anyway, for those that care... There was another one in the vicinity of the Bassett stones, in someone's garden, but that went "missing" in the 60's...

Anyway, back to the relevant bit... I can't help but think these stones have something about them that makes them seem a little older than their "boundary stone" status.

I can find no mention of them on any maps, and you can walk straight past them without noticing them, even though one of them is on a path, and the other about a metre from the road (in a bush, but the bush has been cut so you can see it, so somebody knows it's there!)

I keep meaning to contact the local archaeologists to see if they know anything (the Museum of Archaeology in Southampton knew nothing, unfortunately!) - I just thought I'd ask on this learned forum - does anyone know anything at all about these stones? The Hode Cross Stone suggests a cross base, or somesuch (although I can't see how a cross would have sat anywhere on it - it's too irregular and pointy) but other than that, I know naaaa-thing. Only one local history book that I know of mentions them, but has all 4 of them on one page with a paragraph on each of them, which isn't entirely enlightening.

Any info, or ideas where else to try for information, would be much appreciated. Cheers!

G x

Reply | with quote
goffik
Posted by goffik
25th January 2006ce
10:53

In reply to:

Re: At least they're trying... (goffik)

1 reply:

Re: At least they're trying... (BigSweetie)

Messages in this topic: