The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Hampshire Forum Start a topic | Search
Hampshire
Re: At least they're trying...
15 messages
Select a forum:
> Whereabouts? do you walk through the parks near the centre to work? havn't been into town for a while + where i live in woolston the only thing we've got is an obelisk(i've never even seen it) and a few iron age potsherds that were discovered in 18something or other!!

Hello! Nah - I come from the other side... </sinister> ;o)

I walk in from Shirley, and rarely venture into the mysterious land that is Woolston! I had never heard of any obelisk till you mentioned it... Wonder what that's all about? And are these Iron Age wossnames visible? If so, where might they be?

The only real stuff I know of near me is the location of the Very Old Bridge of Testwood Lakes... I keep meaning to post my pics of that lot..!

These modern "stones" I was on about some way back up there are mostly near the train station on the path up the hill. It only dawned on me fairly recently that they were supposed to emulate standing stones! And they definitely are - I'm not just imagining it... I will take some pics when there's less people about to stare at me...

I just thought I'd brin it up cos I remember a conversation a while back suggesting the city centres should, with all the money they throw at dodgy sculptures and that, maybe construct a nice stone circle in the city centre as a place to chill... I think it's be great in the middle of Hoglands Park! It'd right piss the cricketers off though..!

G x

Reply | with quote
goffik
Posted by goffik
22nd January 2006ce
20:41

In reply to:

Re: At least they're trying... (Sounder)

Messages in this topic: