The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Mitchell's Fold Forum Start a topic | Search
Mitchell's Fold
The vandalism of 1994
7 messages
Select a forum:
I was up at Mitchell's Fold again today. Fantastic site, even better in the clear blue chill of a November's day.
On page 75 of the small 'pocket size' Burl book there's a picture of the site with 'Medgel', the tallest (6ft) stone toppled in an act of vandalism in 1994.
I've a couple of questions about this.

The Medgel stone was (quite rightly) re-erected. But it's got very flat worked sides, I wonder how accurately they were able to re-locate the stone?

What is the accuracy in re-erecting stones? For instance, the Avebury stones can't be in exactly the same place, just because they found where the original holes were, can they?
But Medgel must have had much more recent and precise measurements regarding its alignments and angles do you think?

Secondly, looking the picture in the Burl book, another stone looks toppled too. There's a stone about four foot tall to Medgel's right, but on this picture it appears to be lying down.
Was more than one stone toppled at Mitchell's Fold in the June 1994 attack?

And lastly, what bastards for doing that!

Reply | with quote
suave harv
Posted by suave harv
13th November 2005ce
23:45

2 replies:

Re: The vandalism of 1994 (Ishmael)
Re: The vandalism of 1994 (suave harv)

Messages in this topic: