The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Avebury Forum Start a topic | Search
Avebury
Re: dead and buried?
72 messages
Select a forum:
"I could easily choose to donate the money I spend on doing this to truly worthy causes, but I don't. To be honest sometimes I feel pretty shit about that "

I am slightly baffled by this

In social terms, archaeology is obviously a 'luxury' afforded by an excess of resources (in terms of just the means neccesary for survival) but as part of our cultural development it is surely not only pleasurable but educational (unless you are a follower of Chairman Mao).

The discovery of early human remains (for instance) served the lie to a lot of brutal early racist claims.

Isn't it a false opposition to hypothetically ask the question 're-erect this stone' or 'feed this starving person'?

Your point about the re-distribution of funds to more needy cases within the possible range of archaelogical sites is much more convincing.

These threads are amazing - they (un)cover a lot of ground no?

If I told you I was upper class - that would automatically make me a twat right? - or arrogant? - or out of touch and irrelevant? Who cares anymore?!

Lord T.

Reply | with quote
tuesday
Posted by tuesday
26th October 2005ce
11:17

In reply to:

Re: dead and buried? (FourWinds)

Messages in this topic: