The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Witch's Stone Forum Start a topic | Search
Witch's Stone
Re: Josie and the Witch's Stone photos...
9 messages
Select a forum:
Thanks for the info Paulus. It's been bugging me for ages wondering which stone was *the* Witch's Stone!

<I also have a sneaky suspicion there's summat else lurking in the wooded areas which has yet to enter the archaeologist's records. Mi nose was twitching to something on higher grounds - dunno what it might be though....>

The local historian I spoke to told me about a carving on a rock, a little further north. Next time you're there, walk past the row of quaint terraced cottages further up the beck. The path runs on the slope slightly above them. If you look at the floor, you should come across a flat stone in the surface of the track with an odd shape carved onto it. The historian reckoned it might be just a mark left by a cart... or it might be something else...

If you go even further up the valley, near Adel, (not far from the site of the 'Idol Rock' you describe in your book), there's the very faint carving on a boulder, of the Romano-British god Cocidius.

Cheers

Dave

Reply | with quote
David Raven
Posted by David Raven
30th September 2005ce
18:45

Messages in this topic: