The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   West Kennett Forum Start a topic | Search
West Kennett
Re: West Kennet is a mess!
23 messages
Select a forum:
02/03/05

West Kennet Longbarrow has become home to a colony of rats!

Visiting the longbarrow during a windy flurry of sleet, rat tracks were clearly visible in the snow running into holes above the entrance chambers. Inside, a rat hole now excavates off to the left and droppings abound!

I really love this place and I'm kind of fond of rats too ... I even looked after two pet rats for a friend a few years ago. but they defecate and urinate all over the place, with less bladder control than a Wallace Arnold coach tour. I guess the food offerings left by many visitors attracted the rats initially, yet their burrowing may well have destroyed much archaeology and in time might weaken this eroded structure even more.

As a vegetarian, I'm not exactly pro-poison when it comes to our rodent friends eviction, but the longbarrow's custodians may well feel that poison is the most economic answer to their removal and the quickest when it comes to ejecting them from the premises.

Clearly poison may well effect the field mouse and bird population, not to mention other small mamels, reptiles and indeed dogs. Initially, visitors might consider it best to leave some love within the longbarrow as opposed to more fruity offerings.

Whilst hardly a Silbury issue, anything that detracts from the stability of this wonderfully 'other worldly' place needs seriously addressing and nipping in the bud.

If anyone can suggest a way of rehousing the rats ... so much the better.

"There's a rat in me longbarrow, what am a gonna do?"

Andy, AVEBURY

Reply | with quote
Posted by andygreyweather
3rd March 2005ce
00:12

In reply to:

West Kennet is a mess! (jelliott71)

Messages in this topic: