The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Avebury Forum Start a topic | Search
Avebury
Re: No topic.
82 messages
Select a forum:
> but what has it got to do with dressing up in mediaeval gear?

I assume it's partially an attempt to disconnect with the modern era, and partly to encourage the right frame of mind for ritual. Can't say that's an aspect of it that particularly bothers me.

> I trust the pagans would extend the same largesse to Christian fundamentalists

I expect they would if such people weren't so overtly anti-pagan. Most pagans I've encountered have been reasonably open minded about such things.

> Actually, I don't mind pagans and in fact have a sneaking sympathy for them

My problem is that I don't really know what a pagan is. Nor do pagans, which kinda doesn't help. I suspect that if you worked from a very liberal definition of pagan, I might even be one myself.....

> but I really don't get the fashion and it always seems such a partial and sentimental re-imagining of the
> past (no human sacrifice for instance as far as I am aware)........

Yeah, that's one of the large problems I have with it. Seems like an attempt to recapture something that never existed in the first place. It's almost as though people need some structure or perceived authenticity in order to express their spirituality.

Reply | with quote
doktoratomik
Posted by doktoratomik
21st July 2005ce
17:34

In reply to:

Re: No topic. (tuesday)

1 reply:

Re: No topic. (Ishmael)

Messages in this topic: